A blog about...



THE FREEDOM TO CREATE BRINGS US THE FREEDOM TO LIVE



Thursday, March 17, 2011

KTV - Karaoke Night

My first karaoke experience – 2 weeks ago. We went to a so-called KTV. These are ‘bars’ that are apparently everywhere throughout the whole of China. Karaoke is a ‘serious’ business here. The singing isn’t a reason to get as many beers down you as possible- not like at home, where people will only sing if they’ve had a few… No, here in China, it’s almost a classy way to have a night out…

We went to a KTV with a group of 20 people from work and the way it’s set-up, says so much about the class and style that surrounds this social-scene. We were in a private room (which only cost 15 euros for the whole night) with a wide-screen tv and a play-list of English as well as Chinese songs. We had waiters on-hand who were providing the nibbles and the booze. It was, however, only the westerners who were taking to the drink. The Chinese amongst us would rather sit back and watch the foreigners slowly get drunker, louder and so much prouder of their own voice, as they would hold the microphone and sing their hearts out to Lady Gaga… Yes, suddenly there were no more ‘Poker Faces’; there was nothing left to hide and the Chinese were loving this unfolding spectacle!

Is this a description of my own specific behaviour or one of a general scene taken from any given karaoke-night when foreign and Chinese people come together? Both I guess! I was so proud of the echo my voice was creating, that was only increased by the surround-sound…  But it was so much fun, even if it was only to entertain the contained Chinese staff… I sang my heart out, just like my colleagues Mike, Matt and Helen did. But we or I, should I say, wasn’t revealing any hidden talents like 1 or 2 of the other staff, who literally sang their heart out for China…

What a way to socialize! I wouldn’t do it every weekend though. No… At the moment I’m just delighted to get these little samples of how this world over here, spends their free time... and so far it's by training vocal cords in the company of friend, in an isolated box with blasting music and flowing booze...

No comments:

Post a Comment