A blog about...



THE FREEDOM TO CREATE BRINGS US THE FREEDOM TO LIVE



Monday, November 9, 2009

A Perfect Time

1 week into our new job. We're working on the farm near Swan Hill, the rose farm where we worked together 3 years ago as well. We're only 1 week into the job, and it looks like it will be finishing up pretty soon. We knew it would be for only 3 weeks, but we're flying through it and will be lucky if we get another week out of it. Not to worry though. Before the job started, I was dreading getting back to work again as I was enjoying the time I was spending just hanging out, going to the library (yes, a bookworm is what I've become..haha) and going down to the river. But now that we've started work, it's so easy (so much easier than the job we were doing before this one, in Shepparton) that I'm raging it's going to be over. It's not only because the job is so easy-going, but it's also being back in the pub, in Nyah West.

Since last "reflecting" on how I was feeling about living above the pub again, I reckon I've totally settled there again and I feel so at home. I'm loving every minute of it. Actually, everything that's happening at the moment, I'm absolutely loving. The whole situation suits me so well, at the moment. Living in the pub, I've met some real inspirational people. It's full of backpackers (well not too full at the moment, as it's only the start of the working season in this area, I reckon there's around 17 people staying there now), with their amazing stories, their eagerness to explore the world and their open mindedness when it comes to adjusting to anything that's different and unknown. It's been great. I've also met some a Jasons other mates who live near Swan Hill permanently, and they have been amazing to get to know. One guy from New Zealand in particular. He is full of stories, so inspiring and he's so knowledgeable. He lives with some Koreans, and it's become a regular thing for us to go round to his place, eat Korean food and talk all night. It's the best!

The fact that we're living above the pub, has really brought home that I'm not as easily drawn into the party scene anymore. Most of the people I now find myself surrounded by, would want to be partying every night of the week. And it's so easily done too, with the pub downstairs. But I haven't been tempted the way I thought I would have been. We've a few great nights, but not as much as I thought and not as much as the rest either. And I'm sooo fine with it, it's almost like me and Jason are the "wise oldies" of the group. I'd put the Irish to shame now, with being such a lightweight: 2 beers and everyone guesses I've had at least 6, or that I've been drinking for hours. I'm not bothered though. Because I'm loving everything as it is. I love waking up in the morning, before everybody else, at around 5.30am. I love watching the sunrise, I love walking outside and it being so early but already feeling the heat in the air. I love starting the job and I love when it's time to go home too, back to the pub.. where everyone comes together again and where I always have the option to shut the door to everyone if I please. I love the starry nights in the evening, when it's clear and warm and dark with millions up millions of little flickering lights. I love the sweltering heat that makes a nights sleep one that is sticky, but the fan and the breeze coming through the window makes it all so much bearable.

Being where I am now, I'm only realizing just how isolated me and Jason were, when we were in Shepparton living in the van on the farm. When you''re in those situations you never see just how different things can be or just how intense certain circumstances actually are. Only looking back now, I can see how much I missed meeting new people and how they can inspire me when ideas are so similar. It's great. But it's only temporary, unfortunately. I was saying today to Jason that I wish we could stay for just a few more weeks. I wish we had another job around this area.. But all good things must come to an end, sooner or later. And I must admit, knowing that this situation will only be short lived, makes me enjoy every part of it even more.

As for some "breaking news".. This week, we're experiencing a heatwave. Everyday since Saturday, the temperature has been rising by a few degrees and by Wednesday it will up to 40. I haven't been in heat like this for ages. So it's going to be pretty hard going, as we're working out in the field without any shade whatsoever. So we're starting work earlier so we can finish around lunchtime. Just like today, so we can "beat the heat". It's all good though. Just as well the job itself is easy, or else there would be no hope at all!

Where I go from here, I haven't a notion. I've been contemplating and thinking and thinking (not too much though) and haven't been able to make a definite decision yet. I'll see where the next 2 weeks will lead me..

No comments:

Post a Comment