A blog about...



THE FREEDOM TO CREATE BRINGS US THE FREEDOM TO LIVE



Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A dream come true..???

It continues...

From around that time, things just seemed to flow. As my story was evolving and I typed each and every day, to nourish and feed this baby that was growing… I was using my evenings to focus on travel. I was connecting with other teachers who had been working through the same companies… I met one guy in particular, who I since haven’t forgotten about – a Canadian guy by the name of Jay who was living in Mexico and had been teaching in Asia. This contact in particular suddenly amazed me: it showed just how small the world really is and how easy it is to put yourself 'out there', through modern technology! (Says she who writes on a blog just to connect with the world..haha.. how contradictive to actually say this!) But it's so unlimited how contacts and opportunities can enter our lives through the internet.. I think I was blown away by this, for the simple fact that during the day I’d close myself off from connecting with anybody or anything, which meant my world became increasingly small and it expanded only through the power of my imagination. But in the evening the whole world that lay beyond the four walls of my ‘study’ was accessible through a few clicks on the computer! How naïve this may sound – but it just shows how we can get so used to a certain way of thinking and being, that when we suddenly experience the opposite, it puts things into perspective and lets appreciation to take us by surprise…

Anyhow, I kept in contact with this one agency and I remember how, after a few weeks, I said to myself: ‘I need to have a job set in place, so I can give all of my energy to the book because I have to reach my deadline of the 17th of December (which had been set in place around this time too). And, this is as true as true can be… The following week, I woke up after having a dream that Jay (the Canadian teacher in Mexico) was chatting to me on Skype, and he asked me when I was all set to leave for China! He told me I only had 6 more weeks to go..! The next thing I know, I’m awake and the phone rings. Ma calls upstairs: “Niamh… There’s someone on the phone… FROM CHINA!” I couldn’t believe what was happening! I took the phone off Ma and the lady on the other end said that I had an interview with a school in China scheduled for 15 min ago and that I needed to get on Skype asap! Well, as freaky as this may sound, it’s really what happened…

Afterwards I found out that the appointment had been set up, but with the time difference and emailing, that one particular mail didn’t get to me on time! Either way, I took the interview straight away (this was on the 3rd of December): just 10 min out of bed, unprepared, on Skype (without the camera switched-on! so they couldn’t see my sleepy bed head) and I ended up having one of the best interviews ever. It was unreal. 50 min it lasted and I chatted about my teaching experience in India, about what I’d learnt, about my good and bad qualities, about my pitfalls, about travels, about what I expected from the position and what I’d hope to gain. Later, I was flying high already – whether I’d get the job or not! I was already delighted that I’d pulled off such an interview without having prepared anything! It was the first time I’d been interviewed in such a way…since… 2008…?

No comments:

Post a Comment