A blog about...



THE FREEDOM TO CREATE BRINGS US THE FREEDOM TO LIVE



Monday, August 9, 2010

17 months later...

Arriving in Dublin, on Saturday morning. The plane landed at around 7.30am. I was gazing out of the window, and listening to the pilot speaking over the microphone. He said: “In Dublin it’s almost Winter. It’s 14 degrees”. I don’t know if he was trying to raise peoples’ spirits or dampen them! Anyhow, he didn’t dampen mine. I actually thought it was quite warm for so early in the morning! I had geared myself up for some cold weather, so Ireland was just a refreshing climate for now! Holland had been quite warm (mid 20‘s), Rome was roasting (high 30’s) and India was constantly warm - no clue of the temperature, just heat all the time with the sun beating down and encouraging my wrinkles to deepen and forcing me to stay indoors during the warmest hours - but still I loved that climate, just like I‘d love the climate here in Ireland too.

I was still gazing out the window, as we were landing. I couldn’t remember the last time I had seen such clouds, hanging so low. We were on the ground, and still up in the clouds; must have been a foggy morning! But I loved the sight of those dark clouds. As well, seeing all the planes from the different Irish airlines - the most popular being Aer Lingus - gave me a sense of coming home. The sight of them on the runway, has always given me this feeling, ever since I was a child. Aer Lingus was the first airline we used to fly with, whenever we would come over from Holland to Ireland on holidays. So nice to have such memories.

I stepped off the plane, I was on Irish soil and smelt the most unpolluted air I’ve smelt in months; even though the airport is close to the city. I was wrecked at this stage and was so grateful with the ease in knowing that I didn’t need to go traipsing around an unfamiliar city, with my heavy backpack, in search of a place to stay, or in search of public transport. I wasn’t going to be experiencing any kind of unfamiliarity at all. I didn’t have to think! Yay! All I had to do, was get myself through the airport and out the other side, where Ma was waiting for me.

Nearly 17 months after getting on plane to Oz and I was back in the place I started out from. I felt I’d aged! But also, I felt full of life for the new experiences, and drained of energy from the constant moving I’d been doing. But I was fine with that. It’s simply travelling. And with that comes a certain amount of pressure that can be tiring. But the magic that comes, in return for the challenges I sometimes consciously put upon myself, is far more rewarding. I have no regrets whatsoever, about how I’ve been moving. I may have shed some kilos in the process - something that everyone has noticed over the past weeks - but resting for the next while should get me back on track. I actually don’t know what length of time the “next while” is, but I'll have some answers to that query pretty soon I guess. The shedding of weight is actually a different subject all together. For now, I’m not going to go into it. I don’t feel the need to convince anybody of anything, because I don’t need to convince myself. I’m happy, I’m healthy and life is smiling at me - because I’m smiling at it!

1 comment: